Wednesday, July 15, 2009

Yogurt

I've always wanted to make my own yogurt and finally got around to trying it this year when I found myself in possession of copious amounts of free time. Yogurt making doesn't take that much involvement; just dump milk into a pot and heat it up until it bubbles, then let it cool, and stir in some starter yogurt. It just me takes forever to heat up the milk because I don't want to burn it. A Saturday spent lazying around the house with a good book is the perfect time to put on a pot of yogurt to cook.

I've been using the recipe from this NY Times article. Whole milk makes delicious yogurt, skim milk makes a little too runny, but 2% works out just fine (although it isn't nearly as decadent as the stuff made with whole milk).
Here's a picture of my most recent batch:


No comments: